Friday, May 17, 2013

Locating a broken Software Update package


Onsite complains that the machine hangs when installing patches during imaging (or all machines for a given patch).  It could also be that the user has the dialog box for Software Update but it continually says "failed"


1. Location the machine name
2. Open Status Messages for the given machine.  Locate the patch that failed, assuming the status message was sent back. 
    In 2007: System Status -> Status Message Queires - > all Status Message from a specific Machine
    in 2012: Monitoring Pane -> All Status Messages from a Specific System
3. Type in the machine name, time range and select OK.  A faster way is a right click tool I created a while back ( I don't have this in 2012 yet.  I need to also update my tools site to support 2012, look for the changes.

Locate this line:

Bundle update "93fa39c7-1f23-4549-b3ba-71021177bcc4" failed to get content for update "2cefe0ef-f4e1-4c3d-97f9-10a608c46c52". Please check the enforcement status of update "2cefe0ef-f4e1-4c3d-97f9-10a608c46c52" to get further details. The operating system reported error 2147500036: Operation aborted
If we pull the updateid "2cefe0ef-f4e1-4c3d-97f9-10a608c46c52" you can hunt for the specific update.  In this case you need to open your Content Location folder and search your Microsoft Updates for the folder..
Here we can see this is from the Q2 updates for the 2013 patches from the year of 2013. 
From here there are several things you can do:
1. remove the update frrom the DP and then repush
2. Refresh the package on the DP.
3. Delete the update and redownload (Provision) it from Microsoft and repush.
The end result should be the same.  Hopefully you can back track the bad update and fix it.
Note:  This assume you have already determined there are problems with the source and not the machine.  This can be determined by uninstalling the update from a machine and attempting to reinstall it or seeing all machines pulling from the given DP with errors.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Reporting Services ConfigMgr 2012 Secure Socket errors

I was setting up a single primary site for testing and kept hitting a wall with Reporting Services.

Web page would have this error:
The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

Looking at the logs I would see this when trying to launch the Report URL:

D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS11.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\LogFiles

ui!ReportManager_0-2!d10!05/02/2013-13:00:41:: e ERROR: System.Net.WebException: The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send. ---> System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

library!ReportServer_0-1!25c!05/02/2013-13:04:42:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SecureConnectionRequiredException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.SecureConnectionRequiredException: The
operation you are attempting requires a secure connection (HTTPS).;

Exempt I wasn't running in SSL mode.

The web page would simply show "Connection not established" or several other errors as I poked around.

So after poking around, checking configuration settings of Reporting Services didn't reveal anything.
I looking up the error and found this post for 2008, since I had nothing to lose I tried it out.
Update the RSReportServer.config file using the following steps:
  1. In Windows Explorer, locate the ReportServer directory. The following path is the default path of this directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSRS10.MSSQLSERVER\Reporting Services\ReportServer
  2. Right-click RSReportServer.config, click Open With, click Notepad and then click OK.
  3. Locate the following Add Key entry: <Add Key="SecureConnectionLevel" Value="2"/>
  4. Change the Value setting from 2 to 0.
I did stop and restart the SQL Reporting Services Service and checked my URL.  It worked.